India: Kanyakumari & Madurai
Our fourth and last week in India: the last 4 weeks have flied…so fast! We finally reached the Tamil Nadu state and first stopped in Kanyakumari, the most southern tip of India where the Indian Ocean and the Arabian sea meet. There is nothing specific to do there but we liked the idea of not being able to go further. For our last stop, we ended up in Madurai to visit one of the most incredible temple we saw in India, the Meenakshi Temple!
Kanyakumari is a little town. We liked its colorful fishermen houses. The two main attractions there are the Vivekananda Memorial, a temple and a memorial built on an island close to the shore, and the statue of the great Tamil poet Thiruvalluvar. Madurai is a busy city with never ending traffic. In its centre, one can find the famous Meenakshi temple. It is colorfoul and has a typical architecture. Visitors are more than 15’000 per day! There is also an interesting Gandhi Memorial Museum. As we were close to Indian Independance Day, we couldn’t miss it.
we did specifically enjoy
- Kanyakumari: we liked spending time on the Vivekananda Rock watching the sea and the unceasing tourists flow released from the feries. It is nevertheless a peaceful place and we came twice on the small island, we even stopped a few hours to read in the shade of the temple.
- Madurai: of course the temple was the main goal of our visit!
- Kanyakumari: Temple Citi hotel, a large and clean room which we enjoyed very much however the employees acted weird a few times. Have a look at Mag’s tripadvisor review here if you want further details.
- Madurai: West Marret Hotel: good location close to the train station and the main bus terminal. Room was confortable and had (a lot of) movie tv channels in english, yeahhh!
- The Ocean restaurant in Kanyakumari. Beautiful view over the bay and good food at a reasonnable price. Service was perfect!
- The Surya Rooftop in Madurai, overlooking the 4 towers of the Meenakshi temple, this is the place to spend an evening! Also the food and the staff were nice.
Best Kept Secret Tip
Even when in a fancy restaurant, avoid at all cost fruits platters. Otherwise, you may get a free and extremely efficient diet program…