sri lanka: trincomalee, batticaloa & arugam bay
This week was our holidays within our holidays. The daily routine was: eat, swim, sleep. And we did that all along the east coast of Sri Lanka, from Trincomalee to Arugam Bay. You can understand that we do not have much to speak about!
we did specifically enjoy
- Trincomalee: the beach and the swimming pool.
- Arugam bay: the beach and the beach bars.
- Trinco/Uppuveli: the JABK Park Hotel, a mid-range hotel, clean room but a little bit cramped. Its real asset is defintitely the swimming pool (very large, very clean and nobody uses it!).
- Arugam Bay: the Fly Moon Guest House & Cafe , a large room but very basic, close to everything and the beach is only 20m away! The staff is nice and the breakfast is from the cafe’s menu with some good choices and fresh fruit juices!
- Trinco: the Fernando’s bar is the place to be in Uppuveli beach. Nice beach bar to have drinks (we didn’t try the food) and some nights there are dj’s!
- Arugam Bay: the Sea View is a thai restaurant. It was nice to get some spicy, lemongrass, coriander flavours for a change to the Sri Lankan curries.
Best Kept Secret Tip
In Batticaloa, we got in touch with the East n West travel agency, the responsible, Sandrine, was very responsive and arranged our accommodation in a homestay as well as cooking and fishing classes on the lagoon. She welcomed us in her offices to show us the tours on offer. It was a good experience and we recommend contacting Sandrine for any help planning your trip to Batticaloa area. All the best to her and her team!