sri lanka: tangalle & Bentota / Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
For our last days in Sri Lanka, we spent some time in the South of the island in Tangalle. Tangalle was a nice stop and we discovered beautiful beaches as well as a lagoon full of wildlife. The hotel we were staying at had canoes for their guests. We rode one double for more than one hour and were even able to see a big varan, swimming towards us (grrrr!). We were lucky that this one was still a baby as our hotel neighbours assured us to have seen several of them of 3 meters long the day before…
We then stopped in Bentota , the famous beach resort destination on the Western Coast but just for one night. We had to give our tuktuk back the next day and driving all the way through from Tangalle would have been too tiring. It was time for us to leave. We had a wonderful time on the island and will definitely keep all the good memories about the tuktuk, the wildlife, the food and of course people from Sri Lanka.
We hit Kuala Lumpur for only two days and enjoyed the city quite a lot. We came to Malaysia the first time in 2011 but weren’t too thrilled about the capital. This time we liked it very much, we were staying only steps away from Chinatown and could (re)discover the city and its famous Sino-Malaysian street food! We have just landed in Myanmar, but we will leave this for the next article.
we did specifically enjoy
- Tangalle: the very quiet atmosphere (it is off season now), the beautiful sandy beaches and exploring the lagoon on a canoe.
- Kuala Lumpur: Chinatown! The street food stalls with dim sum and skewers of all kinds, with their unique finger licking bbq seasoning!
- Tangalle: Asha Beach Resort & Spa, a brand new little hotel with friendly staff and excellent service. They offer ayurvedic treatments that come in packages, and the famous canoe ride included in each stay!
- Bentota: Siroma Villa, beautiful residence with only two rooms, huge bed and superb amenities for a very cheap price, totally recommended!
- Kuala Lumpur: Transit Hotel, what a great find! This is a 3* hotel that comes at a bargain price. It is close to everything, the staff is very courteous and the room was soooo comfortable! Actually we couldn’t resist and we booked it again for our next stop in KL next December…
- Tangalle: we ate at our hotel Asha Beach Resort & Spa as we booked the half board. The food was very well prepared and different every day.
- Kuala Lumpur: the Chinatown steaming boats food stalls in Jalan Sultan street, great food, good price, nice staff.
Best Kept Secret Tip
We can now reveal it… the best beach of Tangalle area is: Hiriketiya Beach!
Thanks to our fellow travellers, Céline, Pomme & Maud who made us discover this paradise on earth! (Merci les filles et à bientôt en France ou ailleurs!)